“Job” means any type of activity in which one party performs services or produces a product for another party in exchange for compensation. The definition includes, but is not limited to, employment as staff, project-based services, contract services, and work done in a freelance capacity.
“Employer(s)” means individuals or juristic entities using the facilities of the Website to present or promote any job advertisements, notices, or other job-related activities
“Job Seeker(s)” means users of the Website seeking information about Job opportunities.
“personal information” and “personal data” (collectively “Personal Data”) mean data that can be used to identify an individual, and/or which provides details specific to an individual. The personal data which TechStar collects about a User may include, but not be limited to name, gender, date of birth, address of residence, email address, phone number, digital photo, nationality, level and place of education, skills, and work experience.
Purposes of Collecting and Using Personal Data
In using the Website, Users may be asked to provide certain Personal Data. Some of the services of the website can only function correctly if that data is available. It is the User’s choice whether or not to provide that data, but if the User chooses not to provide it then TechStar may not be able to provide that User all the functions and services of the Website.
TechStar’s purposes for collecting and using the Personal Data provided by Users may include, but not be limited to, the following:
- helping Job Seekers to use the Website’s tools to find appropriate Job opportunities with Employers and helping Employers to use the Website’s tools to assess the suitability of Job Seekers for Job opportunities;
- facilitating Job Seekers and Employers contacting each other, with appropriate prior consent by the parties;
- providing Users with various services offered by the Site, including but not limited to receiving notifications about Job openings or employment applications, receiving newsletters and other emails with Job-related information or with promotional and marketing materials (for further details, please refer to section headed “Subscribing to Newsletters and Promotional Materials” below);
- verifying the identity of Users who have registered on the site, or posted advertisements, resumes, documents, images, links, messages, views or comments, or other information (collectively “Information”) on the Site;
- facilitating responses to Users’ inquiries, requests and complaints;
- assisting TechStar with improvement of the Website and the development of new functions and features
- identifying Users who have used features of the Site, including but not limited to applying for Jobs and downloading resumes; detecting and preventing fraudulent activity;
- for purposes other than those specifically mentioned above which are related to TechStar and/or its affiliates’ providing products and/or services.
Disclosure or Transfer of Data
We provide a secure environment and have appropriate technical, administrative and physical procedures in place to limit access to Users’ Personal Data. Only authorized staff of TechStar and authorized Employers who have subscribed to the appropriate services from TechStar will be able to access Users’ Personal Data directly, and only as described below. However, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure and we cannot guarantee that unauthorized parties will not gain access. We also cannot control how authorized parties store or transfer data which they may have legitimately received from TechStar.
As with most web-based services, data collected via the Website may be transferred, stored and processed in any country in which TechStar may choose to host its Website. Therefore access to the data may also be subject to additional legal obligations in the locations where the data is stored and/or processed.
By using the Website, Users are deemed to have agreed to and authorized TechStar to release their Personal Data as specified and for the reasons listed herein. Other than as specified, TechStar will not release Users’ Personal Data to third parties without the prior consent of the relevant user(s).
The Website gives Job Seekers the option of creating a profile in the TechStar database. The profile includes Personal Data and may also include resume(s) or other files uploaded to TechStar by the Job Seeker. All profile data for those profiles defined (at Job Seeker’s choice), as either “Open” or “On Request” as described below, can be searched by Employers, with access to the Job Seeker’s name, contact details, and resume files determined as indicated.
- Profiles which are “Open” have all profile data accessible to Employers subscribing to the appropriate TechStar services.
- Profiles which are “On Request” have profile data excluding name, contact information, and any uploaded resume files accessible to Employers subscribing to the appropriate TechStar services. Employers may request access to the excluded data and each such Employer requesting access must first be approved by the Job Seeker before access is granted.
- Profiles which are “Closed” cannot be searched, and Employers have no access to any of the profile data.
In the normal course of providing services, TechStar will only disclose and/or transfer Users’ Personal Data as described above. TechStar may, however, also disclose and/or transfer such data to third parties if necessary in order to comply with any applicable laws and regulations, including without limitation compliance with a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process.
Subscribing to Newsletters and Promotional Materials
TechStar’s services include the ability for Users to define and request specific notifications about Job-related activities. To promote and market other TechStar services, or the services of third parties which TechStar thinks may be of interest to you, TechStar may occasionally send Users newsletters, general information on the IT job market, and marketing materials based on the Personal Data that the Users have provided. To do this, TechStar requires the Users’ consent (which includes an indication of no objection). If given or indicated, Users will have the opportunity to revoke that consent at any time.
If you choose to ask TechStar, via the Website, to forward Job-related information to a third party and you provide TechStar with that party’s email address, an e-mail inviting that third party to visit the Website will be sent automatically.
Modification of Data
Users are entitled to make changes to their own Personal Data. If the facility to do so on their own is not available via the online functions of the website, Users may contact TechStar’s Customer Service department at: email@example.com
TechStar does not collect any personally identifiable information from any Users simply from the fact of their visiting and/or browsing the Site without registering or logging in. When Users access the Site, certain information which may include, but not be limited to, the IP address and various aspects of the actions performed on the site during that visit are stored in “cookies” placed on the User’s device. By visiting the Website, you consent to the placement of cookies in your browser and HTML-based emails.
Users can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but Users can modify their individual browser settings to decline cookies if they prefer. However, Users should note that disabling cookies on their browser may prevent them from taking full advantage of the Site
In addition, some third-party advertisers on the TechStar Website may place cookies on some of the pages Users visit. These cookies are designed to collect non-personally identifiable information. The non-personally identifiable information collected by these cookies may be shared with other third parties for the purpose of targeting advertisements and for market research.
Links to Other Websites
The Site may provide links to other websites which are not controlled by TechStar. Personal Data from Users may be collected on these other websites when Users visit such websites and use the services they provide. This is entirely outside the control of TechStar.
Retention of Personal Data
Personal Data collected by TechStar will be securely retained by TechStar for whatever period is required by the purposes for which the data was collected. Registered Users may cancel their registration and request that their Personal Data be deleted by contacting TechStar’s Customer Service department at: firstname.lastname@example.org However TechStar may retain some or all of User’s Personal Data after User has requested deletion, if doing so is necessary to comply with TechStar’s legal obligations or regulatory requirements.
Employers using TechStar’s service may retain copies of Users’ Personal Data on their own systems. TechStar is not responsible for the retention, use, or privacy of Personal Data retained by any third parties including Employers.